Session videos are a useful tool when triaging errors. A video of an error occurring gives unique insight into the customer experience, and may help you identify the step, field, button, or process that triggers the error. This article is a high-level guide to sourcing session videos that showcase an error's user impact.
Note: Session videos are one of many tools available for prioritizing errors. Some of the highest revenue-impacting errors are due to subtle issues like slow page speeds and loading problems. These issues usually cannot be seen in session videos.
- Visit the Funnel, and review your Funnel Statistics. Here, you can see where in the customer journey a majority of leads are lost due to errors. This tells you where to focus your debugging efforts.
- Scroll down to the Issues with Most Revenue Loss section, and open a high-impact error. This open's the Issue Details page on the Overview tab. Scroll through the Overview tab to see what type of error you're dealing with, when the error was first and last seen, and the error's funnel impact. Compare the funnel impact to the overall trends in the Funnel Statistics section.
- Open the issue's Developer tab, and examine the Stacktrace section to find the line(s) of code triggering the error. Here, you can also review the Browser Impact and OS Impact sections to see how the error affects various browsers and operating systems. Finally, review the Reproduction Steps section, to see the last step a user took before the error occurred.
- Open the issue's Sessions tab. Here, sessions are organized by friction factor, a metric Noibu uses to measure how much difficulty a user experiences during checkout.
- Filter the list of sessions based on data collected in previous steps. For example, if the error primarily occurs on a specific browser or operating system, filter the index to show only sessions that meet those criteria. If the last reproduction step is clear, filter the index to capture sessions that focus on that step.
- Watch 5-10 videos with the highest friction factor. To get a better idea of where the user is experiencing trouble, check the timeline on the right hand side of the video. Errors will show in red text. If you see no obvious impact in videos, return to the Funnel Impact section to understand the bottom-line impact this error is having on conversion.
- Pin Sessions that showcase the error in action. This makes it easy for a developer to understand the problem during the debugging process.
Learn more about the Funnel, Issue Trends, and Session Search.